Tuesday, August 24, 2010

nature

Friday I took Delta to the Janet Huckabee Arkansas River Valley Nature Center. It's much neater than it sounds, actually. And yes, the dog has now become my child. We even watch TV together...


Anyway, I think this may be my new favorite place. For one thing, they have a butterfly garden, and any place that loves butterflies enough to dedicate a garden to them is pretty dandy in my book. They allow leashed dogs, have free canoeing and kayaking, and every day at 2:00 you can see a snake eat a mouse (which is really quite fascinating to watch). There are other things too, but those are definitely my highlights.
Gosh I love butterflies.

Ever since I moved into the "city," I've missed the privacy and peace of living out in the country. I have to make a conscious effort to make sure I'm decently dressed every time I let the dog out. I can't yell at the top of my lungs outside (not that I did that much before, but it's nice to have the option). I can't go outside my door and wander around for hours without seeing people (is there a word for being people-phobic?). I'm getting used to it, though. The nice thing about the nature center is that, since school is back in session, there's almost nobody there during the day... meaning, I can go walk on the trails with Delta and not see a soul or hear a car. It's lovely... and I usually don't even use words like "lovely."


Oh and another nice thing is that I can let my dog drink out of her own water bottle without anyone judging me on how ridiculous it is.


And now I leave you with this unedited picture.


Still think fairies aren't real???

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a great park!!! Beautiful pics... I love butterflies too:)

    ReplyDelete